Love Poem: An Expression of One’s True Love

Love Among the Ruins
Image via Wikipedia
 
Valentine's day often has people looking for poetry. Poetry is the language of emotion and as such it is often dense and difficult to read. The exception to this is the love poem.
 
 
 
 

Poetry is the language of emotion and as such it is often dense and difficult to read. The exception to this is the love poem. Love is the one emotion that although it causes conflicts and confusion when not returned, and sometimes a form of madness not unlike obsessive compulsive disorder - when it is returned - it is the simplest emotion to understand.  

Valentine's day often has people looking for poetry. People who at any other time would say they never read it. It is because we feel so profoundly when we love that need a poet to find the words to express it for us. Robbie Burns "Red red rose" speaks of a long lasting love, "Let me Count the ways" by Elizabeth Barrett Browning showed her lover how deeply she felt.
 
CatholicSingles.com-Meet Singles With Like Faith Values!  468x60 Banner
 
Bee Rawlings "Saga Love" is a brilliant self depreciating poem about older lovers, taking back from the young their oft thought exclusive right to love deeply. Funny to read but showing deep affection for her mate, it celebrates a loving relationship warts and all.

I have written many love poems over the years but this one remains my favorite. It describes the way that love so often takes us by surprise.
 

Never Thought It Would Be You


75 Second Creation - Brand Banner
It is you,
you who I love
with a heart straining to please
unsure of myself, caring too much
to pretend it doesn’t matter and
helpless as an infant in my need.
 
Oh, but I love you,
will love you
through days after nights
while your smile remains gentle
and your touch so firm.
 
Then when the storms in your eyes
threaten darkly to break, I will
defend myself, never doubt it
but I will not knowingly hurt you.
I don’t ever want to hurt you.
 
For it is you,
your mind, your body,
your eyes – taking what I need you to
have, but rarely know how to give you.
Your hands giving, not merely offering
but giving everything I’ve longed for and
so much more I never realized I wanted.
 
You, I never thought
it would be you
who would send my heart soaring again.
You who would make me love as if there
never was a time when it was not you
or it was not there at all.
 
A love poem is a simple poem to write and if you are thinking of poetry on Valentine's day, think of writing your own. The best thing to do is to relax first. Play some classical music and open yourself to your emotion.
 
BusinessPresence_468x60
 
You may feel the muse takes over but if not start by jotting down things that you love about your partner. It isn't necessary to rhyme in a traditional way, only the flow of the poem is necessary. Four or five lines is enough if you find it hard to write more. The Japanese haiku was only five lines and many of these are beautiful and very moving.

A poem you write yourself will be a very special gift for your lover that will be treasured for many years to come.
 
adf.ly - shorten links and earn money!
 
Article Link - Never Thought It Would Be You
Author - Julie Francis


Bookmark and Share

Comments